Table of Contents
The Railway Recruitment Board [RRB] under the Non-Technical Popular Categories [NTPC] recruits candidates for posts such as Junior Clerk cum Typist, Junior Time Keeper, Traffic Assistant and so on. RRB has activated the checking of application status till September 30th 2020.
As per the official notification, the RRB NTPC 2020 exam is slated for December 15th 2020. There are roughly 35000 vacancies in the NTPC category. Read on to know more about how you can formulate a strong RRB NTPC 2020 preparation strategy and shape up a solid RRB NTPC preparation plan.
RRB NTPC 2020 Preparation Strategy: Exam Pattern
The RRB NTPC exam consists of two to three stages depending on the posts applied. These are Computer Based Test [CBT] 1, Computer Based Test [CBT] 2 and an additional Typing Skill Test /Computer Based Aptitude Test*. The pattern for both the CBTs has been tabulated below and it will help you organize your RRB NTPC preparation plan.
|Section||CBT 1 Marks||CBT 1 MCQs||CBT 2 Marks||CBT 2 MCQs||Total Duration|
|General Intelligence and Reasoning||30||30||35||35|
*Skill Test is required for those candidates who have submitted their application for Accountant Assistant, Senior Clerk cum Typist and Senior Time Keeper. The Aptitude Test is applicable for those who have applied for Traffic Assistant and Assistant Station Master.
Note: There applies a negative marking of 1/3 marks for each incorrect answer.
RRB NTPC Preparation Plan
With Covid-19 restrictions in place, it is difficult to go for in-person coaching classes and assessments. Thus, it is instrumental to utilize RRB NTPC preparation online resources as well. Here are some tips keeping that in mind.
- Major Topics: Before we start, it is important to delineate the topics on which candidates are tested in both CBT 1 and CBT 2.
|General Awareness||Mathematics||General Intelligence and Reasoning|
|National & International Current Events, Games & Sports, Art, Literature & Culture of India, General Science (up to 10th CBSE), History of India, Physical, Social & Economic Geography of India & World, Indian Polity, Science, Technology, Space, Nuclear, UN, Environmental Issues of India & World, Computer Basics, Indian Economy, etc.||Decimals & Fractions, LCM & HCF, Number System, Ratio & Proportion, Percentages, Time & Work, Mensuration, Speed, Time & Distance, Simple & Compound Interest, Elementary Algebra, Profit & Loss, Geometry, Trigonometry, Elementary Statistics etc.||Series, Analytical Reasoning, Analogies, Coding & Decoding, Syllogism, Jumbling, Venn Diagrams, Mathematical Operations, Similarities & Differences, Relationships, Puzzle, Data Sufficiency, Decision Making, Statement-Conclusion, Statement-Courses of Action, Maps, Data Interpretation, etc.|
- Underlying RRB NTPC 2020 Preparation Strategy: The CBT 1 is only a screening test, that is, candidates need only to clear the cut-offs to be selected for the CBT 2. Marks obtained in CBT 2 will only be used for the latter stages. Our suggestion is to keep a target of 85 questions correct with 100% accuracy for the CBT 1. With the negative marking involves, you must assume 10 questions to be wrong anyway and so don’t mark questions on guesswork as it may ultimately pull down your overall score. For CBT 2, anywhere you must aim for 90-100 questions correct to stand a chance to amongst the selected few.
- Difficulty Level: Typically, the difficulty level of the CBTs stands anywhere between easy-moderate level with the 10-15 odd advanced level questions. So, be prepared.
- Questions Breakdown CBT 1: In terms of questions, the General Awareness section is quite varied and naturally so. As per last year, current affairs accounted for 11 questions, History 7 questions and Biology 7 questions. Physics and Computers are also important with 4 questions each. In Mathematics, topics like Number System, Simplification, Profit/Loss, Data Interpretation and Ration & Proportion are thoroughly tested with a combined 16 questions among them. In General Intelligence & Reasoning, Coding-Decoding, Blood Relation and Mathematical Operations are important topics with 4 questions each. Puzzles and Diagrams with 3 questions each can get you easy marks.
- Questions Breakdown CBT 2: While the general difficulty level for CBT 2 is more on the moderate side, the topics are more or less the same. For Mathematics, Profit/loss, ratios, Simple interests tend to have 3-4 questions each. Furthermore, in the GI & Reasoning section keep the aim of 24-26 questions. Lastly, General Awareness is the most important of all and anywhere between 37-42 questions correct does the job for you.
- Time Management: It is extremely important to account for the time factor. In CBT 1, you have 90 minutes to attempt 100 questions and in CBT 2, naturally a bit difficult, 90 minutes to attempt 120 questions. Hence, don’t linger on one question for too long and move on to the next one immediately.
- As you move your RRB NTPC preparation online much can be gained from its abundant resources. The primary advantage is the variety of questions types available from puzzles, games and quizzes and innovative testing techniques. Especially for General Awareness, as it is a staple portion throughout many exams, interesting questions from beginning to advanced level as well-timed topic-based tests are readily available. You can be informed of the latest changes too.
- It is also nothing less than essential to incorporate new and creative learning techniques such as flow charts, mind maps, diagrams, flashcards, etc. and RRB NTPC preparation online resources let you do that amply. This helps you memorize formulae, learn via innovative methods like mnemonics, summaries, video tutorials, online group sessions and much more. Furthermore, with online assessment and feedback sessions, you can get quality words as to how you can streamline your RRB NTPC preparation plan.
- Most candidates struggle with modifying and revising their plan. To help you with that, many RRB NTPC preparation online resources aid you in maintaining a preparation tracker of not only your strong and weak areas and also of what tangible progress you are making in each section.
Above all, the RRB NTPC 2020 preparation strategy that trumps all is the faith you have in yourself. Keep believing and shine on.