Power Rangers (2017): Perhaps one of the most watched TV superhero franchises of the last decade, Power Rangers are coming back for their first official offering of the 21st Century and this time, the superheroes are coming to the big screens. The 1995 film Might Morphin Power Rangers was the first iteration to be rolled out on celluloid and the upcoming movie is slated to be loosely based on the original. Power Rangers (2017) is already one of the most talked about upcoming movies with a considerable number of people anticipating the in-movie graphics the movie is slated to sport in comparison to the different TV series rolled out earlier.
Directed by Dean Israelite and written by John Gatins, Kieran Mulroney, Michele Mulroney, Matt Sazama and Burk Sharpless, Power Rangers is pegged to be a reboot and re-imagining of the franchise and this movie might just prove to be thestart of a long-running franchise with multiple sequels. One major news regarding the casting of the movie includes the signing of Bryan Cranston of Breaking Bad fame, who voicedTwin Man and Snizard in the original series. Cranston will reportedly be playing Zordon, the mentor for the rangers as well as the original Red Ranger from the past.
Power Rangers Plot
The plot for the new Power Rangers movie spans two separate timelines featuring the original Power Rangers as well as their successors 65 million years in the future. The official premise for the upcoming movie reads:
A trans-dimensional energy field called The Morphing Grid is channelled through a single object, called The Zeo Crystal, causing it to have immense power and control over life. The intergalactic being Rita Repulsa attempts to steal the crystal in order to control it, however, it is guarded by a powerful energy field which vaporises all who touch it. She creates a fearsome creature with a sole purpose to destroy the field and retrieve the crystal. However, a warrior, known as Zordon, leads a group called the Power Rangers to stop it. They succeed in destroying the creature, shattering its essence around the planet, Rita is sent through a black hole to the far ends of existence, and Zordon himself morphs into pure energy.
65 million years later, five teenage student outcasts with attitude accidentally discover the Power Coins, the source of the original Rangers’ power, inadvertently drawing Rita back to Earth where the Zeo Crystal remains. Under the tutelage of former Red Ranger Zordon, these teenagers become new Power Rangers, however, they must learn to master their new skills as well as how to work as a team before Rita can retrieve the Crystal by resurrecting the creature – Goldar.
Power Rangers Cast
- Dacre Montgomery as Jason Lee Scott/Red Ranger: The leader of the Power Rangers and Kimberly’s love interest.
- Naomi Scott as Kimberly Hart/Pink Ranger: A member of the Power Rangers and Jason’s love interest.
- RJ Cyler as Billy Cranston/Blue Ranger
- Becky G as Trini Kwan/Yellow Ranger
- Ludi Lin as Zack Taylor/Black Ranger
- Bryan Cranston as Zordon: The mentor of the Power Rangers, and original ancient Red Ranger.
- Elizabeth Banks as Rita Repulsa: An alien invader, and the main antagonist of the movie.
- Bill Hader as Alpha 5: The robot assistant of Zordon, whose metallic body can mutate for various purposes.
- Sarah Grey as Amanda
- Anjali Jay as Maddy Hart: Kimberly’s mother
- Patrick Sabongui as Mr. Kwan
- Emily Maddison as Rebecca
- Kayden Magnuson as Pearl Scott
- Ranjit Samra as Security Guard
- Jaime Callica as Officer Bebe
Power Rangers Release Date
Currently, in the post-production state, Power Rangers was originally scheduled for a June 22, 2016, release date. However, due to uncited reasons, Lionsgatelater delayed the release to March 24, 2017, in the United States, after which, the movie will be rolled out to theatres around the world.