We all love the feeling of sleeping on a cloud. Which option can provide such an experience? If you are a lover of a plush bed, then you have two options for you – memory foam mattresses and pillow tops. Both have their merits and demerits. But both are great choices when it comes to relieving the pressure points. Before you make a decision, you need to understand the difference between these two options.
Memory foam mattresses
We will start with memory foam mattresses. It is made of a foam core. It doesn’t use the metal innerspring system. As a result, you will experience the comfort as soon as you lie down on it. When you lie down it compresses itself and regains the shape when you rise.
Another good thing about memory foam mattresses is that it helps to distribute your weight evenly. This makes way for amazing pressure-point relief. Less number of tossing and turning happens for the same reason. When you have excess pressure underneath your body, you tend to do tossing and turning. When the mattress of your choice doesn’t provide even support for your body, you may experience ache in places like hips, neck, arms or back. Memory foam provides more gentle support to your body, thereby avoiding many of the problems.
Compared to a plush pillow top, memory foam mattresses will feel firmer. You have plenty of options in the market to choose from. Some brands offer additional foam layers, which add to the softness.
Pros of memory foam mattresses
- It avoids tossing given it provides pressure-point relief.
- Even distribution of your body weight.
- It gives you the best sleeping posture.
Cons of memory foam mattresses
- Some mattresses might feel hotter since it absorbs heat.
- If the foams do not have enough density, then you might get the sinking feeling, which is undesirable.
Pillow top mattresses
Now we will see the case of pillow top mattresses. It is basically an innerspring mattress with extra foam layers. It usually constitutes so many foam layers. And the “pillow” contains additional layers.
The type of foam used and the number of layers adds to the softness quotient. You will come across plenty of options in the market. Some brands even incorporate memory foam to provide a cradling feel. Dreamcloud is an ideal choice for pillow top.
When you sleep on a pillow top mattress, you will feel like you are sleeping on a flat, big, super-soft pillow. That’s not the feeling when you get when you sleep on a memory foam mattress. However, the support and softness depend lot on the material used. Pillow tops can appear as plush or firm. You need to ask what is inside to avoid confusion.
Pros of pillow top mattresses
- The softness of the surface will give a cloud-like feeling. It offers pressure-point relief as in the case of memory foam mattresses.
- It has the ability to isolate motion all thanks to the quality innerspring. Your sleep will not be disturbed just because your partner turns.
- Certain types of pillow tops are able to get rid of heat. It will provide good sleep for the same reason.
Cons of pillow top mattresses
Now let’s take a look at the cons of pillow top mattresses.
- It might need some effort from your side to make sure that the pillow top stays in shape. Frequent rotating is needed in some cases. It can be a disadvantage.
- Quick sagging might be a side effect when it comes to some pillow tops. Many complain that sagging is a common occurrence when it comes to pillow tops.
Finally, the time has come for us to draw a conclusion. We have taken a closer look at the pros and cons of both memory foam mattresses and pillow top mattresses.
Which is the best option? Well, it is hard to provide a conclusive answer to this question, given lot rides on your choice. You are the one who is going to decide what you need.
Sleeping habits are never the same. Different people have different preferences. It all comes down to the individual preferences. Both provide pressure-point relief. Both can be incredibly soft and comfortable depending on the choice you have made. Since you have seen the pros and cons of both, you should be able to make a decision without any difficulty.