Winning millions of hearts today the legendary Indian singer, the melody queen Lata Mangeshkar has stepped into her 87th birthday, and the nation cannot be more proud. She is one of the greatest names in the Indian music who devoted her whole life to it. Born on 28th September 1929 in a Marathi family she is the elder of her five sisters who all are singers. Her sister Asha Bhosle is another honourable name of Indian music and playback singing. Bestowed with many awards and recognition including Bharat Ratna, Padma Bhushan, Padma Vibhushan, Dadasaheb Phalke Award, Maharashtra Bhushan Award, NTR National Award, ANR National Award, Filmfare Lifetime Achievement Award and many more Lata Mangeshkar is the living legend of the country.
Humble like a saint, after winning Bharat Ratna in 2001 when the nation knew she is the ultimate name when comes to Indian music, who is enriching it since she is 13. But the urge of learning is so intense that she said in an interview ‘But I am still learning. I still feel like a student!’
But this year the legendary artist declared she will not celebrate her birthday today honouring the 18 deceased soldiers of Uri Attack. The nightingale of Indian music is gloomed by the terror and death all around.
She said, “Not when our soldiers have died so brutally in Uri. My sincere request to my well-wishers, please don’t waste money buying me flowers. Instead, send money to the bereaved family of martyrs. Jo shaheed huey hain unki zaraa yaad karo qurbani,”
She has worked with almost all the well known music directors like Laxmikant Pyarelal, Shankar Jaikishan, R. D. Burman, C. Ramchandra, Kalyanji Anandji, Chitragupta, Madan Mohan, S. D. Burman, Naushad, Roshan, Hemant Kumar, Anil Biswas, Vasant Desai, Rajesh Roshan, Salil Chaudhary, Husnlal Bhagatram, Bappi Lahiri, Ravi, Khayyam (Sharmaji), Ghulam Mohammad, S. N. Tripathi, Usha Khanna, Hansraj Bahal, Sudhir Phadke, Jaidev, N. Dutta. They all feel privileged to work with them.
Some Unknown Facts ofLata Mangeshkar
- She is known as the “Living Legend”
- She’s been hailed as the “Nightingale of India…”
- She started her career in 1943, at the tender age of 13 with‘Mata ek sapoot ki duniya badal de tu’, Gajaabhaau Marathi film.
- She went to school for just one day. andlearnt the alphabet from the family servant!
Her first hit song was “Ayegaa aane wala…” from Mahal.
- This one is so unusual. A perfume was named after the living legend: “Lata Eau de Parfum” which is a heady mix of 78 essences of fragrances from earthy sandalwood and musk to wild roses, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Her songs“Tera Sang Pyaar Mein” and “Wada Na Tod” from the movie Dil Tujhko Diya were used inthe background score in a Hollywood film – “ Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind.”
- She hates and makeup and grooming.
- Lata Mangeshkar is afraid of flying.
- She loves gambling and likes to play slot machines and is quite a Coca-Cola guzzler.
Till 1991 Lata Mangeshkar has recorded a number of Hindi films was found to be 5025, and in last 15 years, it has increased in numbers of course! “Jeena Hai Kya” from Dunno Y2 (2014) is her last recorded song yet.
We wish the most musical birthday girl a very Happy Birth Day!