Clenbuterol is a drug originally designed to cure respiratory ailments in animals like horses and improve their performance. Later it came to human consumption in the form of hydrochloride salts to treat asthma and other respiratory ailments as it is a bronchodilator and a decongestant. It relaxes the muscles in the chest area and makes breathing easy for asthma patients. There are no studies about its effects on humans as it was mainly designed for animal use.
In the recent years, this drug is gaining popularity among people aiming to lose weight as a weight loss drug due to its endorsement by various celebrities. It increases the rate of metabolism and results in quick fat burning while maintaining the muscle mass when users take a safe dose. This steroid is also favoured by bodybuilders, weightlifters, and athletes for its stimulant and performance enhancing properties. IOC has banned the usage of this drug for its athletes as it is believed to enhance performance.
Many countries have switched to safer drugs to treat asthma and other conditions as Clenbuterol has some serious side effects:
- As it is a powerful stimulant, this drug increases the blood pressure and maintains it at a higher rate for long period of time which results in increased risk of heart ailments causing sudden death.
- It plays havoc with the sleep cycles of the users as it remains in the body for longer period of time when compared to other stimulants like caffeine, this results in serious cases of insomnia, drowsiness, and dizziness.
- It decreases the naturally occurring the potassium and taurine resources in the body which causes muscle cramps and headaches.
- Other side effects include nausea, vomiting, nervousness, chest pain and heartburn.
- The presence of dopamine also called as the reward hormone leads to addiction of this drug.
The side effects of Clenbuterol are both short term and long term and mostly occur when it is taken in large doses over extended periods of time.
The dosage of Clenbuterol depends upon the gender, tolerance of the individual and the purpose for which it is taken. It is usually taken in the cutting phase of the program cycle with an on and off cycle. The users generally take it for 2 weeks starting from a small dose and gradually reaching the recommended dose and when the body starts getting used to the steroid they stop taking it for two weeks. Again restart its use after 2 weeks with the same dosage. This drug can be taken both in the tablet and injection forms. Both the forms have their own set of advantages and disadvantages like the injections tend to form air bubbles while the tablets cause nausea.
Considering the benefits and side effects of this drug it is always advisable to take a calculated risk. Though it helps in weight loss and bodybuilding it is not advisable to use this steroid for the longer period of time in high doses. It is always recommended to take a safe dose under the supervision of a qualified specialist to reap maximum benefits.