As you all are aware of this term more commonly as blood pressure ie BP, But blood pressure can be of two types low or high. Higher blood pressure is called as hypertension and lower one as hypotension.
Today we will be discussing high blood pressure ie hypertension.
What is blood pressure?
- This is the pressure that is exerted by the blood on the walls of blood vessels. So if this pressure is high it leads to hypertension.
- This high blood pressure has many damaging effects on the walls of arteries and organs it perfuses.
- Blood pressure is read against artery by sphygmomanometer
There are two yes of hypertension
1) primary or essential hypertension :
- Accounts of 80%
- 70% have the positive family history
- The specific underlying cause is not known
2) secondary hypertension :
- 15% of cases are seen with secondary hypertension
- It’s a consequence due to some other disease or pathology
Criteria for hypertension are Causes :
- Coarctation of aorta
- Renal causes: glomerulonephritis, polycystic kidney disease
- Endocrinal cause: pheochromocytoma,
- Cushing’s syndrome, hyperthyroidism
- Alcohol and drugs :
- OC pills, corticosteroids, cyclosporins, bromocriptine
- Obstructive sleep apnoea
Risk factors :
- These factors are responsible for elevating blood pressure
- They are classified as modifiable and nonmodifiable
- Elevated serum cholesterol
- Sedentary lifestyles
Modifiable are those that can be changed according to the behavior of the person and thus decrease the risk.
- Family history
- Genetic factors
Nonmodifiable factors remain unchanged.
Majority of the patients remain asymptomatic and is detected on routine examination
- A transient headache
- Blurring of vision
- And many more
Central nervous system complications :
- Transient ischemic attacks
- Hypertensive encephalopathy
Ophthalmic complications :
- Hypertensive retinopathy
- Cardiovascular complications :
- Coronary artery disease
- Left ventricular failure
- An aortic aneurysm
- Aortic dissection
- Renal complications:
- Progressive renal failure
Treatment of Hypertension – Home remedies for removing blood pressure
1. Treat high blood pressure, eat foods that keep the heart healthy. Eating a diet rich in fiber, potassium and iron mineral will keep your heart healthy. Drinking too much water is also a better option.
- Treat the high BP, reduce the amount of sodium in the food and see the difference.
- Treatment of high blood pressure, stay away from smoking. If you have a habit of smoking then try to quit it slowly. Quitting smoking is a difficult task, so consult a doctor in this case.
- Home remedies for high blood pressure, reduce alcohol intake. Keep a record of drinking and try to reduce this amount.
- Remedies for high blood pressure, stay away from stress. Try to stay away from stress-related things. You can also resort to yoga to relieve stress.
- Home remedies for high blood pressure, try to reduce body weight. Treatment for High BP, do the right type of exercises so that the benefits can be found.
- Participate in home remedies for high blood pressure, weight loss, quit smoking and physical exercise camps. This will provide accurate results.
- Weight reduction for an obese patient is mandatory
- Routine monitoring of blood pressure is necessary to prevent further complications.
- Associated health disorder must be treated to prevent complications
- It is always possible to keep blood pressure in control with proper treatment
- Patient must stop smoking