HRD Minister Prakash Javedkar Announced NTA to conduct NEET: The Humans Resource Development (HRD) Minister Prakash Javedkar has just announced in a press conference that JEE Main, the screening test for IITs, will be conducted twice a year – in January and April. Major exams like JEE Main, NEET, GPAT will be conducted by NTA (National Testing Agency) which has been set up to set up to conduct “computer-based” exams to select students for top state-funded medical and engineering colleges instead of CBSE (Central Board of Secondary Education) that was earlier in charge of conducting the exams.
As per the press release, the following is the tentative schedule:
Javedkar has announced the NTA will conduct JEE Main, NEET, GPAT, UGC NET, CMAT twice a year. The exam will also be conducted in fully computer-based mode and no form of paper based exam will take place.
About NTA (National Testing Agency)
NTA was approved by the Union cabinet in November 2017.National Testing Agency is a set up as an Autonomous and self-sustained organization that is going to conduct national level tests mentioned above on a voluntary basis for the conduct of independent tests. The National Testing Agency is registered as a society under Indian Societies Registration Act, 1860. National Testing Agency has been established to develop and promote standard in educational and professional testing and assessment. CBSE has prepared a model for NTA which suggests the objectives, structures and functions of the agency.
Changes brought By NTA
- A Student can take both the exams or just one. In case the candidate takes both exams, the score of the best one will count.
- JEE Main will be conducted twice in January and April.
- NEET will be held twice in the month of February and May.
- The Exams will be held for a period of 4-5 days and students will be able to book a slot for the same.
- The Exams will be held only in computer-based mode. There will be no pen and paper-based mode of exam.
National Testing Agency Functions
- To produce and disseminate information and research on education and professional development standards.
- To conduct efficient, transparent and international standards tests in order to assess the competency of candidates for admission and recruitment purposes.
- To identify experts and institutions in setting examination questions.
- To undertake research on educational, professional and testing systems to identify gaps in the knowledge systems and take steps for bridging them.