On-and-off allies are locked in a bitter contest in the polls for theBMC or theBrihanmumbai Municipal Corporation and the civic bodies of the other major cities. The latest news of the counting of polls indicates that the Shiv Sena is leading in the BMC while the BJP has made deep inroads. The latest reports also indicate that Sanjay Nirupam, the chief of theMumbai Congress unit, has offered to quit after the drubbing the party received in the Maharashtra Civic Polls. The Asaduddin Owaisi-headed AIMIM has won two seats in the BMC in what can be described as an above-average debut performance. Here are the latest developments in the Maharashtra Civic Polls 2017.
- In the Nagpur Municipal Corporation elections, the results of 72 of the 151 wards have been declared. The BJP has won 54 seats while the Congress party has won 14 and the Bahujan SamajwadiParty 4. The BJP has yieldedgood results in the city, which also hosts the headquarters of the RSS.
- The latest BMC poll results indicate that the BJP has made deep inroads winning 77 seats. The Shiv Sena has won 92, the Congress has won 29, while the Sharad Pawar-led NCP has won 7 seats. The Raj Thackeray-led MNS has won a measly 6.
- In the other major cities, the BJP leads in Pune and Nashik. The Shiv Sena also leads in Thane while the NCP leads in the Pimpri-Chinchwad Municipal Corporations.
- Sanjay Nirupam has offered to resign as the Mumbai Congress Chief. He says this is in major part due to the poor show by the Congress in the Maharashtra Civic Polls.
- The Shiv Sena’s cache of seats increased by 20 to finally settle at 95, as reported by India Today. This is in marked contrast to the 2012 results when they were at 75.
- The latest reports indicate that the BJP has doubled its 2012 seat count from 31 to65.
Notable Victories in The Maharashtra Civic Polls 2017
- Among the notable victorious candidates is the son of Congress MP Kirit Somaiya, Neil Kirit Somaiya, who won from Mulund.
- The former mayor of Mumbai Shraddha Jadhav of the Shiv Sena registered his 6th consecutive win from ward 202. She was mayor till 2012 and is considered a close confidant of the Shiv Sena supremo Uddhav Thackeray.
- InBaramati, Rohit Rajendra Pawar, the grandson of the NCP chief Sharad Pawar, has won.
— ANI (@ANI_news) February 23, 2017
Analysing the Outcome of The Maharashtra Civic Polls 2017
The Shiv Sena is well on its way to winning the BMC polls. The win will reinforce the image the Sena has among the public at large that it is the last word in the maximum city. You can read more about the Maharashtra Civic Polls 2017 here. Uddhav Thackeray will now go on the offensive against saffron-partner BJP while CM DevendraFadnavis will face humiliation. Before the polls, the CM had gone on record stating that he will take the blame if the BJP loses the Maharashtra Civic Polls 2017. We will have to take him at his word here. The Congress and the NCP have gained nothing from the polls.