Table of Contents
The term IMEI stands for International Mobile Equipment Identity. Now for beginners, it can sound like quite a lot. However, trust us when we say this, it is not. It is simply a 15-digit unique number assigned to every mobile phone, GSM modem or device with a built-in phone/modem. The IMEI number is different on every mobile device. Hence, the intriguing fact about IMEI numbers is that there are no two devices on the planet with the same IMEI number. This number is very useful when it comes to identifying a device on a telecom provider’s network.
What is the use of an IMEI Number?
The IMEI number can be used for a variety of purposes, including:
- Tracking lost or stolen phones.
- Blocking stolen phones from being used on the network.
- Identifying counterfeit phones.
- Getting warranty information for your phone.
- Checking the compatibility of your phone with different networks.
With respect to all these uses mentioned above, the most common use case of IMEI numbers is tracking down a device. You can report the IMEI number to your carrier if you think your phone has been lost or stolen. After receiving your complaint, the carrier will then block the phone from being used on the network. In addition, you can also report the IMEI number to the police. In many cases, the police have tracked down active IMEI numbers and helped prevent further crimes. They could also use an IMEI tracker for you to find out the one wrong do-er who stole your smartphone.
Where can I find my phone’s IMEI code?
There are several ways to find the IMEI code for your device. Here are some of them:
- If your phone has a removable battery, you can find the IMEI code printed on a sticker beneath the battery.
- In the settings menu of your phone. Open the settings menu and scroll down to find the “About phone” or “Device information” section. The IMEI code will be listed there.
- By dialling *#06# on your phone. This will display your IMEI code on the screen.
- The IMEI code is usually printed on the box that your phone came in.
- If you have lost your phone or it has been stolen, you can also contact your carrier and they will be able to provide you with your IMEI code.
Now, it is important to note that the IMEI number is not a fool-proof way to protect your phone from theft. In today’s times, tech has evolved quite a lot and so has the tech to counter systems such as the IMEI numbers. There are ways to clone or spoof IMEI numbers, hence you should always take additional precautions to keep your smartphone safe.
What additional ways can I use to keep the smartphone safe?
Here are some tips for protecting your phone from theft:
- Use a strong password or PIN to lock your phone.
- Keep your phone in a safe place when you are not using it.
- Do not leave your phone unattended in public places.
- Be aware of your surroundings when you are using your phone in public.
- Install a mobile security app on your phone.
- Back up your phone data to the cloud regularly.
- Make sure you only use Wi-Fi connections that you trust.
- Do not download apps from websites that seem untrustworthy.
By following these tips, you can protect your phone even when it is stolen or lost.
However, if you have indeed lost your device and think that there is no way left to get it back, getting a new SIM card and a new device is the last option. If you are considering that, you should try getting on the Airtel network. Why? Completing a recharge on the Airtel network is incredibly simple, they have a vast array of prepaid and postpaid Airtel recharge plans, 5G services, OTT benefits and more.