The Legend of Korra Season 5: Nickelodeon‘s beloved animation series ended back in 2014 with season 4. With Korra and Asami walking off to the Spirit World, the series left space for future exploration. While fans celebrated Korrasami, Bryke (Bryan Konietzko and Michael Dante DiMartino) informed they are not coming back for the television adaptation of The Legend of Korra season 5. But of course, that hasn’t deterred fans from hoping for a new season.

The Legend of Korra Season 5
Bryan Konietzko’s Korrasami art-piece, “Turtle-duck Date Night”, he made for The Legend of Korra / Avatar: The Last Airbender Tribute Exhibition at Gallery Nucleus. Image Source

The Legend of Korra was critically praised when it first premiered in 2012, drawing comparisons with the likes of hit HBO series Game of Thrones and works of the greatest Japanese anime filmmaker, Hayao Miyazaki. There are only a handful of entertainment program for young people that goes beyond the established norm and deals with such heavy issues surrounding race, gender, and sexual identity.  The Legend of Korra is one of the most popular and celebrated animation television series of all time. It’s set in the same world as Avatar: The Last Airbender where people can bend or manipulate nature’s four elements – air, water, earth and fire. The Last Airbender is a coming-of-age story of Aang, who is an Avatar and can bend all four elements, unlike normal benders who can bend just one. He, like other Avatar’s before him, was charged with the responsibility of safeguarding world peace. With Korra, the story shifts to a more modern setting, focusing on the world’s new Avatar – Avatar Korra.

Is The Legend of Korra Season 5 Happening?

No. But, like The Last Airbender, the series will continue as a graphic novel by Dark Horse and it’ll be written by Michael Dante DiMartino who basically wrote the stories for The Last Airbender, its on-going graphic novels and The Legend of Korra TV show.

The Legend of Korra Season 5
Dark Horse’s key artwork for The Legend of Korra graphic novel’s first instalment.

When is The Legend of Korra Graphic Novel Coming Out?

June 2017 is the month to watch out for Korra fans. Korra’s story will be continued in three-part graphic novels by Dark Horse. The first instalment will be called ‘The Legend of Korra: Turf Wars’. As per EW, the novel will pick up right after our famous pair return to Republic City from the Spirit World to find the place in disarray. In an interview with EW, DiMantino spoke of what we can expect from Korra’s story to come:

“Korra has to figure out how to find a new balance in the city with all this stuff that’s gone on. It’s gonna take place right after the finale, so it’s focusing on Korra and Asami’s relationship as a new threat emerges. It’s kind of like the aftermath dealing with the new portal in the city, and all the evacuees coming back to find their homes wiped out cause of the portal.”

We wonder if the popularity of the animations series can’t convince Netflix to pick the story and come up with more seasons. But Bryke had moved on to newer projects since season 4, so there’s little chance of that happening. So although The Legend of Korra season 5 isn’t happening, the story will continue and the original co-creator is going to write it.

Tell us how you want Korra’s story to continue. Do you think Michael will write more LGBT characters into the upcoming stories?

Load More Related Articles
Load More By Fabnewz Team
Load More In Television

6 Comments

1. Derrick Harris

February 8, 2017 at 14:48

I would love to see a season 5 on Netflix!!!

2. Bolin

January 18, 2017 at 03:50

While I want to see more of Korra, I also want to see the next Avatar, a Earthbender, as a series.

3. Bri Boldon

January 16, 2017 at 09:37

I loved Avatar Korra and Korrasami! I want to see Korra deal with building the Earth Kingdom democracy. That’s a big change for a nation that just had a monarchy! I want to see Korra deal with Equalist rights. I want to see how Asami’s role as leader of effects Korra’s job as avatar. What is Bolin going to do? Will he go back to acting? Earth demcracy business? Something new? How does Opal play into that with her own journey? I want to see the new Air nation grow with the other nations. I want to see more of the Fire Nation! It’s the only nation we haven’t explored in this new time setting. And last but not least Jinora exploring her role as a master of the Air Bending Nation.

4. Anonymous

January 16, 2017 at 01:44

I hope that these books will help some kids, teens mainly see that it is ok to be who you want to be, if you can believe in yourself

5. Desna

January 16, 2017 at 01:23

I would like the season 5 of The Legend of Korra to return to television. Or I’d like to ask Netflix to make a movie.

What would I like to see in season 5 of the serie Korra?

Well, I’m an fan who loves the pair of Bolin and Eska. I would like to see Bolin leave Opal because he realizes that he is still in love with Eska.

I know there will be Korrasami. But I would like to know more about the cousins of the Avatar. I would like to know more about Eska and Desna. Since in the series they were impoverished the great characters.

Me gustaría que la temporada 5 de The Legend of Korra regresara a la televisión. O me gustaría pedirle a Netflix que haga una película.

¿Qué me gustaría ver en la temporada 5 de la serie Korra?

Bueno, soy una fan que ama el par de Bolin y Eska. Me gustaría ver a Bolin salir de Opal porque se da cuenta de que todavía está enamorado de Eska.

Sé que habrá Korrasami. Pero me gustaría saber más sobre los primos del Avatar. Me gustaría saber más sobre Eska y Desna. Ya que en la serie se empobrecieron los grandes personajes.

6. David Schmitt

January 16, 2017 at 01:22

As long as the story is as entertaining as the show and all the characters sound in my head like they are supposed to, I’m happy.